Hampshire Farms is seeking a quality oriented Grower, a hands on individual that is motivated, forward-thinking that is interested production growing with skills in climate control systems, irrigation, fertility. The individual must be able to learn, communicate and collaborate in a team environment. Compensation based on relevant experience/education and perennial knowledge. The individual’s primary responsibility is to perform all duties related to plant production and produce the highest number of salable plants possible in his or her area of responsibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effective pest and disease control through regular scouting, judicious and appropriate use of pesticides in conjunction with biological control efforts
- Training and direct supervision of the crew in all procedures and processes related to plant production
- Environmental control (heating, cooling, venting)
- Crop stage monitoring
- Judicious and appropriate use of plant growth regulators
- Irrigation and fertility
- Implementation and enforcement of WPS and participation in overall company compliance
- Implementation and enforcement of general and specific safety policies
- All other functions related to greenhouse production Growers are expected to work a weekend in rotation with other growers. Normally this would be one out of every 4 but may be subject to change given adjustments in staffing levels. Weekend responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- General supervision of all crews and/or personnel assigned to work Saturday and Sunday
- Monitoring all greenhouse systems and equipment for proper operation and response
- Making spot decisions regarding production/shipping questions, with consultation from the production manager, sales manager or general manager as needed
- General enforcement of WPS and general safety and company policy
- Knowledge and/or experience in Horticulture, Botany, Entomology and other plant science training and/or experience in agriculture/horticulture/landscape.
- Knowledge related to the botany of plant growth and the biology of fungal, mite and insect life cycles.
- Knowledge of pest and disease control mechanisms is essential. This includes cultural techniques, chemical control and biological control methods.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Illinois pesticide applicators license
- Ability to train and effectively supervise greenhouse workers
- Plant knowledge
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with co-workers, management and other industry professionals